Offer It Up

All too often I hear Christians telling others to "offer it up," but what does it even mean?

When I was in college, I went to a cardio kickboxing class a couple of times per week. I loved everything about it! The instructor was helpful, focused, and more motivating than anyone I know. The drive of the instructor was infectious, the people surrounding you who have the same goals were there to challenge you, and yes, there were days that the workout was so challenging that during the cool down and stretching that people were sliding all over the place because of the sweat the had pouring down their bodies, but I can't even say that was what kept people coming back. So what was it about him, about that class that attracted so many people each day?

The first day, I walked in and he had a white board set up in the front of the gym. Written across the top of the board was the saying "Who are you fighting for?" I had no idea what this meant. I opted out of writing on it, but as people walked in, their first stop was that board. As I sat in the back waiting, I couldn't help but wonder what that board had to do with the workout. To this day, I picture that board in every workout. There was no way I could have known how that class would impact my life.

As I get older and grow in my faith, I can see how my spiritual grows and changes. Growing up, I was never turned off by my faith, but always driven to know more. Then as a teenager, it was obvious that there were always different ideas and passions that drove me. Now, as an adult I can  look back on where my faith came from and where it is going. That being said, my thesis in college was about the love of Christ for His Church and the importance our bodies play in that. It is in suffering, that salvation was brought to the world. We should not shy away from tribulations, but embrace them as they come.

When I reflect on "offering up" a sacrifice or some form of suffering, I turn my heart to Christ and the cross. What greatness came from the greatest sacrifice and how much worth could my own suffering have for the sake of something greater than the suffering at hand? It is in our suffering that we are united to Christ. This is how we ought to pray and sacrifice.

So what does this all have to do with that group exercise class I took in college, everything. Throughout the workout, the instructor would shout, "WHO ARE YOU FIGHTING FOR?" He was there to remind us that our suffering is not in vain! Who is it that we would we offer up that temporary pain for? If it is for your parents, beautiful; if it is for your friend, wonderful; if it is for peace in places of strife; praise God! This is where we can take our suffering, unite it to Christ, bringing all those who need prayer to God.

Each workout can become much more than just something to improve your own self, how you look and feel; it can be a prayer, a form of offering up those who need it more than ourselves. In Crossfit, we have Hero WODs which are preformed in memory of a soldier who has given up their life for this country. When we do these workouts, we unite our suffering with theirs and that of their families, even moreso, we can bring these heroes to God so eternal rest can be granted them. It does not end with just the hero workouts, this mentality can be brought to each and every workout. It changes your suffering from vanity to a greater purpose.

I have no idea if any of this makes any sense, but my own life and my workouts have changed.

Who are you fighting for?

Blessings.

Comments

Post a Comment